Baking in a Pressure Cooker or a Kadai is an age old technique of baking that has been used for many years. The most important step is preparing the pressure cooker or the kadai for baking.
Preparation of Archana's Kitchen Cake Mix Batter
- Into a large mixing bowl, add the full packet of brownie mix, 240 ml water, 60 ml sunflower oil (or 60 grams soft unsalted cooking butter - melted). Beat well for 2 minutes until smooth and fluffy.
- If the batter is too thick, add 2 tablespoons of water and beat again until smooth. Note: Brownie batter is a little more thick than cake batter.
- Fold in 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts or chopped almonds into the batter for a crunchy taste (optional)
- Grease an 8 inch round/square/rectangle cake pan with oil (or butter) and dust with flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Preparing the Pressure Cooker / Kadai Method
- Place a trivet and another steel vessel of 2 inches height over the trivet. This acts as a stand for baking the cake.
- This stand is to ensure the cake pan is placed at least 2 to 2-1/2 inches from the base of the cooker or kadai.
- If you keep the cake pan directly at the bottom, it will burn.
- Attach the gasket to the lid if using pressure cooker.
- Cover the pressure cooker or kadai and preheat for 10 minutes on low to medium heat. You do not need to add any water, salt and sand at the bottom of the cooker.
Baking the Prepared Cake in the Pressure Cooker
- Once preheated, place the round cake pan into the cooker/ kadai over the steel vessel/stand.
- Cover the cooker without the weight/whistle or cover the kadai with a lid
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted inside comes out a little sticky/crumbly.
- Once baked, remove from the pressure cooker/ Kadai and cool for 15 min.
- Cut into slices and enjoy as a snack.