Baking is a complex science and just when you found out you have the perfect recipe or the cake mix and you put your cake into the oven (OTG) - the cake was underbaked, did not bake in the specified time given - either took longer or got baked faster or got burnt on the top. You would think your cake is ready on top and risen so well but is wet in the middle? It's not your fault (this time).
It is important to understand this one important aspect of baking apart from owning a great recipe or a cake mix is that Every Oven Is Different. In my 35 plus years of baking experience, I have baked in ovens of various sizes, from 16 liters, 25 liters to 40 to large professional oven and not to forget gas ovens and olden time sand oven too. And every single one of them has its own unique temperament and personality.
The thermostat setting in each of the ovens works very differently. It takes as little as 15 minutes to heat an oven and sometimes even 25 minutes on a slow oven. Once the thermostat hit their set temperature, they shut off the heat until the temperature falls below a certain point before heating back up again. This cycle is the problem.
Understanding this thermostat calibration of your oven and how the heating functions work in your oven is important for good baking results. And this typically does not happen in your first try (if you are a beginner to baking). It will take a few hits and misses to get the right temperature for baking cakes, cookies, breads, pizza's etc.
Important Note: Each oven is different and baking temperature and times will differ from oven to oven.
Baking in Oven Using Archana's Kitchen Cake Mixes (OTG & Wall Ovens)
- Into a large mixing bowl, add the full packet of brownie mix, 240 ml water, 60 ml sunflower oil (or 60 grams soft unsalted cooking butter - melted). Beat well for 2 minutes until smooth and fluffy.
- If the batter is too thick, add 2 tablespoons of water and beat again until smooth. Note: Brownie batter is a little more thick than cake batter.
- Fold in 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts or chopped almonds into the batter for a crunchy taste (optional)
- Grease an 8 inch round/square/rectangle cake pan with oil (or butter) and dust with flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Oven Size, Temperature & Function Settings
The table below will give you an approximate baking time and oven temperature and function setting for you to bake Archana's Kitchen Cake Mixes easily in your oven.
Oven Baking Method
- Preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 180 C / 160 C (refer below table or to manufacturers instructions manual). Use upper & lower heating option and use fan option if available
- Place the cake pan in the center rack
- Avoid opening the oven until 30 minutes if you are baking the cake in an 8 inch pan. Opening the oven often will allow cool air to go in causing the cake to sink and also make it more dense
- Place the cake in the centre rack of the preheated oven and bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out a little sticky/crumbly.
- Note: Baking times differ from oven to oven and size of pan used.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes and then cut into slices.